I had some interesting epiphanies this last week or so.
It's been an interesting year. I've been to three funerals so far. That sounds kind of morbid, but I learned something going to all of these funerals. I didn't used to go to funerals. They were sad and depressing and I always cry my eyes out no matter what so I just avoided them.
In the past few years though, I have come to realise something...funerals, especially LDS funerals (I can't speak for other funerals since I haven't been to them) are some of the most spiritual gatherings I have been to.
As I was pondering this at the most recent funeral I went to, which really was a celebration of life and a blessing in this person's life because they had been dealing with cancer and in extreme pain for the last three years. I began to realise that I was crying because I felt the spirit. I was crying because the spiritual feeling in that room was so strong, that I couldn't help but cry. The love was so strong in that room for that person.
I know that's not always the case. Some funerals are very tragic and sad because of the life of a person gone too soon, or young, or because of an accident. Of course there is some sorrow as you remember the good times, and maybe the not so good ones. Regrets. Wishes that you could change things that happened in the past. Sorrow that you won't see that person for a long time. Perhaps decades or more. There is definitely some sadness there.
As I kept thinking about it I was reminded of when I worked in the operating room and experienced birth. There were times when they would deliver in the operating room as a precaution in case they had to do a split second c-section. There is nothing quite like the feeling of a baby being born. I will never forget that feeling. It is such a strong spiritual feeling, and then the utmost joy on the parents' faces as they marveled at the new little one and the dad started to cry. I almost cried seeing that!
When I thought these things, I thought, You know, it seems kind of fitting that two of the most spiritual times we can experience is a spirit entering earth, and a spirit leaving.
No comments:
Post a Comment