I think I have been somewhat preoccupied with getting ready for the surgery that I'm going to have.
A big part is because it's such a big surgery for me. I mean, I will have a major organ removed from my body. I guess it's a big deal to me, even though I know I will feel a lot better, and things will be better, it's just big.
It didn't help when I told Harrison yesterday that I was having surgery and then told him what for. He looked at me and was all, "So I won't get anymore brothers and sisters?" Yeah, my heart panged a little.
Still, I know this is the right thing to do and the right time. It seems weird that it is the right time, because it makes me feel old. I am ready to be free of the pain and everything else that comes with having a cycle though. So, that is a relief. It will be so nice to not have to worry about it anymore.
I know some people have asked me why I don't just get an ablation. An ablation is where they cauterize and burn the inside of the uterus so you no longer have periods. For a lot of people they are a great option when they are done having kids.
I remember discussing ablations with doctors that I worked with, and there were many times they were doing an ablation when they knew it most likely wouldn't work, or wouldn't work for long, because of the conditions that the patient had. Sometimes they had to do it in order for their patient's insurance to cover a hysterectomy, and sometimes it was the patient who wanted to try something less invasive even though the doctor knew that the odds were high that it wouldn't work. For people like me, it's just one more surgery that would be ineffective until I had a hysterectomy. So, I decided to skip that step.
Today I get my blood drawn and have lab work done, and a clear liquid diet...and tomorrow...it's onward to a new way of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment