Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Surgeries, Health, and Music

My world has been a bit eclectic lately, so I felt like the title fit well.

It's kind of interesting to post something about surgery, especially the surgery I am getting prepared to have. Prior to getting pregnant with Jeffrey I had a diagnostic lap surgery where they were going to remove a growth from my uterus. Before that I had struggled for seven years to get pregnant at all. I got pregnant once in that time, but I miscarried. It was a rough time. When I had that surgery it was discovered that I had endometriosis. BAD endometriosis. It was stage 3 which is one of the higher levels of endometriosis. Knowing what I know now, I realize what a miracle it was that I became pregnant with Harrison and Hazel at all. I consider it a huge blessing that I didn't feel or experience the level of pain that most women feel with this condition.

So, during that surgery, they cleaned out the endometriosis the best they could. My cycles after I had Jeffrey were heavy but not bad, and more regular than they had been for a long time. This would probably explain why I was able to become pregnant with Emmett and had him when Jeffrey was 17 months old.

Well, now things are terrible again. The hormones, the mood swings, the PMS, the bleeding, the cramps, etc... etc... it is awful. Every time my period comes, is not a great thing. It's hard on me, it's hard on my family, and I am always relieved when it goes away again.

We decided that it was time. So I am preparing to have a hysterectomy. I am having it done all laparascopic which I think is pretty cool. The doctor I go to specializes in doing this type of procedure and was trained by one of the best surgeons in the country. He is also very fast. I asked him how long he thought it would take and he told me the hysterectomy portion would probably take an hour.

I know that probably sounds like a long time to people who have never assisted on surgery, but I've assisted on lots of hysterectomies and that's super fast! Even a surgeon who is really good at doing vaginal hysterectomies usually takes 2-2 1/2 hours.

Laparascopic surgeries usually take longer anyway, because they are being done with a scope. So, an hour is pretty amazing.

Of course, I will be having my endometriosis cleaned out as well, so that will probably add another hour to the surgical time.

I feel at peace with it. That among many other things lets me know it is a good choice to make.

I think I wrote previously about how my CMT (charcot-marie-toothe) syndrome is getting worse. I am sure that eventually I will have to get an official diagnosis from a neurologist just to say that yes, it has been scientifically diagnosed, but it is quite obvious that I have an active form of it. I have been trying to keep the muscles I have working, especially in my hands, but my right hand has really been acting up lately. My fingers kind of spasm and wont' move correctly.

That makes me kind of sad, but, oh well. It is something I will have to get used to dealing with.

At least I can always enjoy music with my ears or even memories at the very least.

And with that, here is one of my favorite songs, Absolutely breathtaking, sung by Alfie Boe. I hope you will take the time to listen.






No comments: