I had some interesting experiences working in the medical field. I can't talk or write about most of them. I always find it interesting when people ask for references or a doctor.
Most medical people know that they can't tell you who NOT to go to. They know that if they did that, they could get sued for slander. If I wrote about the doctors I worked with, and who I wouldn't go to because of that, I could get sued for libel.
However, you can ask a nurse or other person who they would go to if they were you. It's just their opinion though. You may not like that doctor at all.
My opinions of doctors have changed over the years though. When I was younger I just wanted someone who was nice.
I have learned, however, that sometimes (not always) sometimes, the nice ones have the worst surgical technique, and aren't the most knowledgeable.
Now, I look at nice as an added bonus. Do they know what they're talking about? Are they knowledgeable about your concerns and how you need to be treated? How do they react when things go wrong? Do you ever feel pressured to make a choice that you don't want to? How do they react when you don't agree with them? How do they react when you follow their diagnosis and opinion and your condition gets worse? Are they realistic or do they give you false hope? If they are a surgeon who did they train under? How did they learn their technique? These are all things that are good to research and find out.
These are all things I take into account. Especially when I look into my past health concerns.
Some doctors are great in the office but horrible in the operating room. Some doctors are great in the operating room but their bedside manner is lacking. Then there are the golden ones that have both.
No comments:
Post a Comment