There were a lot of things that went wrong on my wedding day. A LOT. Granted, it happened almost 15 years ago, but I can still remember the things I wished I had done differently.
1. I would have rented/gotten a wedding dress. I had a dress. It was white, and pretty, but not a "wedding dress." I know a lot of people think money is wasted on a wedding dress, but really, if you're only planning on getting married once, then it's a one time deal. You don't get to do it again!
2. I would have met the person making my cake. Well, I would have had my husband's cousin make my cake for one. I didn't know she made cakes. No one told me. So, we went with the person that had made my sister's wedding cake. Her's turned out beautiful and looked gorgeous. By the time I got married though, she wasn't really doing wedding cakes anymore. It was kind of a side thing. A huge red flag was when we went to my cake design appointment and she wasn't even there. Her husband took notes. I honestly can't remember how I wanted my cake to look...but what I do remember, quite vividly, was that the cake I got was NOT the cake I ordered. By that point in the day though, so many things had gone wrong, I just took a deep breath and mentally told myself I could be happy, or I could be upset, and I chose to be happy.
3. I would have had a reception on a different day than my wedding. This one is huge. The wedding day is such an emotional roller coaster day. I wish I would have had my reception a different day. We would have gone, gotten married, and then done something, anything, other than a reception. The next day, or even better, a week later, we could have had a reception, and it would have been a nice relaxing experience, instead of being one of the longest days ever.
4. I would have waited for my mom to get to the temple where we were getting married so she could help me. Granted, she had told me to go ahead and get started if she wasn't there, but....if I could do it again, I wouldn't have started anything until my mom got there, AND I would have had as many people as I wanted helping me. I don't know why I felt like I had to do it all on my own. I don't think I did really, it just didn't occur to me to ask people to be with me. If I could do it again....my mom, aunts, sister, cousins...yes, I would have asked them all to be there with me helping me get ready if they wanted to.
5. No one would've started eating at our wedding brunch until we got there. This one, I didn't really have any control over...but, when we got to our wedding brunch, we basically got leftovers. Yeah, it was rude, and really made me feel bad. I think about that every time I go to a wedding brunch and wonder when the bride and groom are going to finally be there.
6. I would have loosened up and just enjoyed the day more. I wouldn't have worried so much about things, and just enjoyed being married and being married to Shane.
1 comment:
I didn't have a formal wedding dress, and if I would have gone back I would have gotten one as well. I also wouldn't have minded a better photographer. But we did the reception the night before, which I loved, and it really was a great day. Who starts eating before the bride and groom come? Not nice.
Post a Comment