Thursday, May 15, 2014

Another thing to think about....

I feel like all things medical have come to a head this year. Well, I guess this has just been the year for them to become a real thing to worry about. Of course, I tend to have medical things every year. Hmmm.... I was hoping this year would be different, but it's not heading out that way.

So, back when Hazel was a littlie, she didn't want to walk. In fact, she didn't show any desire or inclination until she was about 16 months old. I remember specifically talking to the pediatrician about it, but at that point in time they weren't too concerned about it.

Shortly after that conversation, she started walking. It was always somewhat of a struggle though. Then, unlike most little kids that go quickly from walking to running, she never really did. I remember watching her and wondering about it, but then just figured it might be something she would grow out of. Still, walking and running have always been something that have been hard for her.

Well, now she's 10. She still has an interesting gait to her walk, and her run is...unique to say the least. These in an of themselves aren't the concern, its HOW she walks, and HOW she runs. I can't describe it...but I'll try... imagine trying to run without using your hips. You stiffen your hip joint and use the rest of your leg. For those in dance, color guard, etc...it is described as a jazz run. That is what she does.

So, she has an appointment with the pediatrician to get a referral to a specialist, so we can see if there is something wrong, preventing her from using her entire leg the way she should, or it it's just the way she is.

Worst case scenario, it will be something she has to have surgery to fix...best case scenario, it will be nothing but the worry of an overattentive mother. :)

2 comments:

Liz said...

Just a thought--you could consider seeing a pediatric physical therapist as well. They are trained a lot in things like this, and can often do things that prevent surgery if there is a major problem. (I might be biased toward physical therapist because my husband is one too. :).)

Melissa said...

Thanks Liz. Physical therapy has crossed my mind. :) Definitely on the options list!