The main talk that stood out for me, and there were many great ones and so much to learn, was a talk given by Linda S Reeves who is the current 2nd counselor in the General Relief Society Presidency. Ironically, it wasn't the main topic that caught me...which was the importance of protecting our families from pornography...it was the importance of having a Christ centered home.
How can we do this in our homes? Some of you have heard me tell how overwhelmed my husband, Mel, and I felt as the parents of four young children. As we faced the challenges of parenting and keeping up with the demands of life, we were desperate for help. We prayed and pleaded to know what to do. The answer that came was clear: “It is OK if the house is a mess and the children are still in their pajamas and some responsibilities are left undone. The only things that really need to be accomplished in the home are daily scripture study and prayer and weekly family home evening.”
Did you notice that last phrase? The ONLY things that really need to be accomplished in the home are daily scripture study and prayer and weekly family home evening.
Now, I realize that this is to be taken in context, but for me this was huge. HUGE. My whole marriage I have felt like I wasn't doing what I was supposed to because my house was a mess, laundry is never completed, there's crumbs on the floor, and an assortment of toys, blankets, shoes, etc... everywhere. (Never because of Shane, this was my own feeling). I felt like if I was the wife and mother I should be, my house would be spotless like a magazine. For some women, this is doable. For me, I get tired of always cleaning, the neverending chores, and too frequently find myself distracted by a book. Then, feeling guilty, the messiness at times becomes too much, and I would find myself overwhelmed by an unending task.
So, hearing that, I thought, okay, read the scriptures, pray, and family home evening. These are things I can do. These are things that are vital to a Christ centered home. If I focus on these things, the other things will come.
That has become my goals for the year. Read the scriptures nightly as a family. Family prayer in the morning and evening. Weekly family home evening. I know I am repeating myself, but these three simple things, are things that we have always struggled to do. I realize that this is because they are important! If they aren't a priority, SOMETHING will come or happen or take place to prevent you from doing it.
Even in this past week, I have noticed that every night, EVERY NIGHT, we have been reading scriptures, and the phone that has been silent all day, will ring. It's been uncanny! Still, we have pressed on. It has been good. Our older kids love it, and our younger ones like being around everyone, and already I have noticed a change in the environment.
I have felt more motivated to work on the house, but even more, I have not worried about if the house is spotless. I find myself spending more time with my kids and enjoying them. I find myself not getting stressed about the little things. I find my mind and thoughts changing.
1 comment:
I know! Sometimes it is so hard not to get caught up in...cleaning, extracurricular, yard work, work, meals, etc. But the truth is that those things aren't as important as having scripture study and prayer and teaching our children about Christ! I hope that I can do that! It has been fun to find you! I love to connect with other Mormon mommies!!
http://balmtomysoul.com
Post a Comment