Monday, March 24, 2014

Me and Migraines

I think I first started getting migraines when I was about 21. Okay, I KNOW when I got my first migraine. It was after I had Harrison and decided to go on birth control even though I felt like I shouldn't. (I know birth control is good for lots of people, but not me, it has never been good for me. 1. Turns me into psycho crazy woman, 2. has never been great for doing anything for my cycle other than screwing it up even more.)

Prior to that I had had lots of sinus headaches. I know, you're thinking, really? You're comparing the two? Well, not really. I would take a sinus headache any day compared to a migraine, but a severe sinus headache is just as bad for me as a migraine in the nausea department.

Well, once I started getting migraines, the quest became how to NOT get migraines. Anyone who has had a migraine understands this feeling, because I firmly believe that migraines are evil. They are awful curl up in a ball and feel like you want to die type headache. People that have migraines for a week? I just, I can't even fathom that and my heart goes out to them.

Anyway, first of course I went to the doctor. Sure, they have medicine to give people with migraines, and I tried it....mmm....no dice. The pain went from my head to my arms and legs. It felt like cycle cramps but worse. So. much. worse. Okay, that's not going to do it.

Then I tried to change my diet, because migraines have "trigger foods." So, no dairy, tomatoes, chocolate... Honestly that did help, but wow.

About that point in time my husband was talking to his coworker who also did craniosacral therapy. I figured why not? What do I have to lose? A migraine? I'll take it! Honestly, out of all the alternative medicine therapies that I did prior to now, craniosacral therapy helped the most. After I had a few sessions, I could eat whatever I wanted! Except strawberries. I have never been able to kick that one. It's tied to some pretty strong emotions I guess.

Then we moved. One thing that I have found about alternative medicine is that you have to be comfortable with the person doing the method. Just like a western medicine doctor. If you don't trust them, or feel comfortable with them, it's not going to work as well. So, I never went to another craniosacral therapist. Even so, before I went to him, I was starting to have 3-5 migraines a week. Afterward, I could go about six months without one, and then I would have to go back.

Since that time... I have tried essential oils, chiropractors, NAET, foot zoning, energy work, body talk, cold laser treatments. They almost all helped, but never did they make them go away.

My latest of course has been healing my chakras. When I was going through healing them, migraines came up as being a symptom of having a closed crown chakra. It made sense to me, especially because the medicine world has theories of how migraines are caused, but they can't prove them. They can't completely get them to stop. They can't heal people of them.

So far, it's been about a month since I initially opened my crown chakra...and...no migraines! For me that is amazing, because prior to that point I had been having 1-2 migraines a month. Doesn't sound like a lot, unless you've had migraines before. Any migraine is too many! So, I am very interested to see if I stay migraine free. I will keep you posted...

No comments: