I know people traditionally call these New Year's Resolutions, but I'm calling them goals, because goals are something to work toward achieving, whereas resolutions are just a decision to change. Both good things, but I need something to work toward.
Goal 1
Plan a menu for every two weeks of the month.
Technically I started doing this last year, but it's good to write it down. I find when I plan a menu, I am less likely to feel like I don't want to make dinner or go out to eat, because I have things I know we can make. We eat better too, for the same reasons. It also helps me stay in our budget for food, and if we use less money on food one trip, then we can save that money for when items are on sale that I like to have on hand. It also makes it so we go to the grocery store less, which also helps us save money.
All I do is think of recipes that we like, and yes, we occasionally try new ones, then I look at what is used in the recipe, and try to find ones that use some of the food that we have on hand. If there is something on sale, sometimes I try to incorporate that into our meal plan. Then, I just put it on a list on the fridge, and decide what I feel like making that day.
It has been really helpful!
Goal 2
Yell less at my kids.
I don't like yelling at my kids. I know it is not necessary and in many ways harmful. So, I've been doing a few things to help with that. When I feel myself getting frustrated, I think of all the reasons why I love my kids, sometimes it's characteristics about them that I really think are special, sometimes it's things that happened in the past, and I think of the blessings involved in having them in our family. It helps for two reasons. First, I have to pause to think about these things, and it distracts me from that exact moment, and it also helps me focus on what's really important.
I know this is a difficult habit to change, but I know that I can do it. I also know that even if I slip, it will be okay and I can start fresh and resolve to do better.
Another thing that I started doing was thinking of triggers. For example, if I am upstairs and I need to talk to my kids, it's easy to yell for them. I don't think that's terrible, but if I have to keep yelling, and our conversation is yelling, it's much easier to get frustrated and upset, nevermind that my voice goes hoarse. So, the other day I called both Harrison and Hazel to come, and we discussed it. I told them that when called for, instead of answering "what" let's change it to "coming" because obviously I need something for them to do or help with, or something, and then we eliminate the yelled conversation that is so annoying.
This one is still a work in progress. We will see how it goes. But, it is a goal. I want to yell less at my kids, and I want our house to be less tense and stressful. Yelling always seems to cause tension.
Goal 3
Keep a cleaner house and become more organized.
I have been trying to do better at putting things away as soon as I am done using them. Keeping the kitchen clean, and the front room, and my task this week has been getting the laundry room in order! I feel like my laundry room has exploded since I was sick in December.
It helps me know what to have the kids help with, and I have a few ideas for keeping the rooms more clean.
A big help was when we decided we were going to have Emmett sleep in the crib, because it literally forced us to clean out the office/nursery area. It looks better than it has in a year.
I have also been trying to teach my kids to put things away too. I know that is one that will be a continuous thing, but maybe if I keep on it, it will become an easy thing. That is the hope. I would rather have a house that I maintain, versus one where I always feel like it is a mess. That being said, I don't expect my house to be spotless. While a spotless house would be nice, we live here, and we are here all the time. I want my family to enjoy being here and not feel like they can't do anything or they will mess up the house.
I know from past experience that if things are cleaner, it is easier to keep them organized. So, the two seem to go hand in hand. As I work toward keeping things clean, I want to get things organized as well.
So far, that is my personal main goals. I know I will think of more, but I think that these three are pretty big. Plus, we have goals that we are working on as a family, and as a couple.
So, here's to working on goals for the new year!
No comments:
Post a Comment