Friday, January 3, 2014

Changes

Tonight is going to be an interesting night. It will be good though...and hopefully not long and restless...we shall see!

Now that I have you thoroughly confused, I will explain.

So, way back before Emmett was born we bought a 2nd crib. We had every intention of having it put together and ready for use before he was born. We ran into a snag though...WHERE would we put it? We couldn't figure it out, and then Emmett was born, Jeffrey was still sleeping in the office/nursery, Emmett was sleeping by me because I was nursing him, and it just got put on the backburner.

Well, as the year has progressed, it has become more and more apparent that we needed to figure something out.

Then as I took Emmett to more of his well-checks, it became apparent that things needed to change.

This last time, I had to take him in for a weight check because he wasn't gaining anything. Yes, he had been sick, but he had gained NOTHING over a three month period. Not good for a baby that was now nine months old!

We were encouraged to feed him more solid foods, supplement with formula that would help give him complete nutrition, and cut back on the times he was breastfed. He was also supposed to begin to sleep through the night.

Well, that was complicated when his bed was the pack n play in our room and he knew I was about three feet away from him and could hold him and he could eat. At nine months he was still waking up 2-3 times in the night, if not more.

So, when we went in for his weight check today,  talked about it with the pediatrician, and he told me when I was ready, that I really needed to try and get Emmett sleeping through the night. Also, that he should really only be nursing three times a day now TOTAL.

On the plus side though, he had gained enough weight that the pediatrician was happy with his progress and told me to keep doing what we were doing.

So, I came home and told Shane it was time to put the other crib together as a toddler bed for Jeffrey (which had been part of the plan from the get go) put it in Harrison's room, and start putting Emmett to bed in the crib outside our room.

Things have been going pretty well. Jeffrey has only woken up once. He was so happy about his toddler bed, that initially, he put himself to bed at first tonight.      After he woke up we gave him the option to sleep where he wanted, and again he picked the toddler bed in Harrison's room. Emmett slept for about an hour and woke up. I fed him again until he was asleep, put him back in the crib, and so far he is still sleeping.

Now I need to go to bed! Hopefully, this will be a good transition for Emmett, and he will start to sleep longer. We shall see!

No comments: