Monday, May 13, 2013

Paint

It was a long, crazy, interesting weekend. So, we didn't paint our house. HOWEVER, it is almost ready to be painted. I've learned a lot about paint this weekend. Things I didn't really ever think I would need to know about paint. I learned a lot about our house too. Some things that I already knew, and some that I didn't. Surprises!

We used grinders and chisels  and wire brushes to get the old flaking paint off. After consulting with some of Shane's siblings...who have actually painted things before, we realized that we indeed would need to prime before painting. I told Shane, okay, now say, "you were right honey!"  I had tried to tell him we should prime, but since I have not so much experience... well anyway...

I know some of you are probably wondering why we don't just put vinyl siding on our house... well, it all boils down to money. That, and it wouldn't increase the value of our home enough to make it worth the cost. If we were going to be living here for ten more years, yes, it would be worth the cost. As it is, I would rather spend $300 in primer and paint. Much cheaper, and it will look nice.

Then we have the door scenario. One of the cheapest best things you can do to increase curb appeal is to put in a new door. I guess because it looks pretty or something. People like new doors. So, we thought that would be a great idea! Well. Our house, is old and quirky, and built back when standard sized things didn't exist and everything was custom. So, our door is too narrow. We could special order a door, but it would cost twice as much as a standard door. So, there went that idea!

On to plan B for the door... we have a cool old door on the back of our house. Great place for our door right, on the back where no one can see it... anyway, we can repaint that door, and put it on the front, which Shane is leaning toward. I think it's a decent idea too. OR, we can repaint the front door that is already there, add a kickplate and a door knocker, and kazam, new door!

I will have to take pictures, because I'm sure you'll want to see the finished product. I'll have to take some right now too, since right now our house looks like someone had a lot of fun tagging it.

Anyway...we have the paint, ready and waiting, and we have primer. I am excited for what it will look like!

No comments: