I have to admit that on occasion I do go over to the Duggar family website and read Michelle Duggar's blog. Her entries are usually about parenting, no surprise there since they have 19 kids! Anyway, on one of the entries she addresses what they do for the younger kids when it is nap time. I'm sure she receives oodles of parenting questions, and the nap time one is one of them.
She mentioned that they called it "happy nappy" time. I thought that was intriguing and cute, and a creative way to put a positive spin on something that kids usually don't like, and adults wish they could have more of.
The other thing I did was notice when Jeffrey typically wanted or was ready to go down for a nap, whether he knew it or not! :) His nap time is anywhere starting from 10:45, although ideally about noon, and he will sleep for 2-3 hours most times. Sunday really screws him up because our ward meets at 12:30. It makes it hard on the whole family too, because when Jeffrey doesn't get his nap...he is NOT a happy camper.
So, I started having a mild routine, where I always ask/tell him it's happy nappy time. You wouldn't think that one word would make a difference, but it does! Then I make sure he has his blanket, and his stuffed bear. He has one he prefers the most, but if it has disappeared he will make do with another stuffed bear we have. Then I lay him in his crib and tell him to have a happy nappy time. Very rarely does he cry if we do this routine. If he does cry it's on average about 1 minute. He isn't even asleep, but content.
Now if I could just figure out a positive word to add to bedtime... He used to be really good about going to bed, but nowdays.... some nights are good, some nights are not good...
No comments:
Post a Comment