Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bump bump bump....

Back at the end of March Jeffrey ended up getting hurt and cutting his lip open. When I say open, I mean OPEN. We took him to the E.R. and they called in a plastic surgeon to sew it up because it was big. The surgeon put in three deep stitches and then ten outside stitches. That's a lot on a little boy. It healed up really nicely though and most people can't tell there is even a scar there.

As the weeks have progressed the scar has gotten a little bigger. Not big enough to be super concerned, at least  not to me, but anyway...

Jeffrey also has a bump on his right upper eyebrow. I didn't think anything of it at first, but it kept getting bigger, and then I had people asking me what he had done to his eye. It did kind of look like he had ran into something and then when we felt it you could feel a nodule under the skin.

The pediatrician agreed it was something that needed to be looked at and possibly removed. So, when we went to Jeffrey's follow up appointment today with the plastic surgeon, he got an appointment for surgery next week! I didn't think it would happen that fast, but I guess it doesn't matter how fast it gets done right?

So, after we got the paperwork we came home and I went to the hospital to register the surgery. Since he is going to be under anesthesia the plastic surgeon is going to inject his Jeffrey's lip too, to help break up the scar tissue.

I have always been amazed at what plastic surgeons are capable of doing. I'm not talking about the vanity plastic surgeries. I am talking about the reconstructive surgeries. It is really neat when you see all that they do.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with Jeffrey after the surgery, because I am sure the anesthesia will make him act wonky, but it is what it is. If we waited to have the bump removed, it could continue to get bigger and affect his eyesight in that eye, and it would be a little more difficult to remove. Plus, they want to double check and make sure that it's just a lipoma, and not anything they should be worried about like cancer. They really don't think it's cancerous, but it's just one of those things that you never know.

So anyway, exciting times!

No comments: