I used to be a pretty smart person. I was sharp too. I could carry on an intellectual conversation and sometimes it probably sounded similar to the ones on Big Bang Theory.
Then I started having kids. I noticed a change after I had my oldest son. I had airhead moments, and it was frustrating to me to not be as sharp as I was before, but I eventually got used to it.
After my second child I really began to notice the mush brain effect as I call it. I had a job, and there were so many things it was hard to remember. I used to be able to memorize and remember things almost instantly. No longer! It was difficult. It was something I really had to work at.
Then we had a long spell where we didn't have more kids. My mush brain level stayed at the same spot. I don't think it really improved or got worse, but it was still depressing at times to look on the past and realize that I was no longer that smart, sharp person. I knew what it meant to have mommy brain, because I had it all the time!
Then I had my last two kids. I'm sure part of it is lack of sleep, but still, there is a fuzzy brain that makes it extremely difficult to remember or retain any information, let alone new information.
So, it is something I need to work on. I don't want to continually have mush brain. It is probably one of the reasons why I like playing brain exercise games, to keep my thinking sharp. They help a little, but I know I can remember better than I have been.
Still, I would give up my sharp memory all over again for my kids. They mean the world to me, and if I have to deal with some mush brain because of it, it is worth it. :)
1 comment:
Thanks for writing that. It is nice to know that someone else feels that way too. Mush brain is a good way of phrasing it.
Post a Comment