It's been an interesting morning! This morning I woke up to freezing rain. Freezing rain is something they are kind of used to seeing in the east, but here? I think this is the first time in my life I've experienced it. An actual freezing rain storm. This threw everyone in the northern part of the state for a loop I think... Cars were sliding off the road going 20mph, they closed the airport, and the canyon by where I live (which TONS of commuters use) as been closed all morning.
Usually the highway patrol is telling people they need to slow down... today, they were telling everyone that they needed three times the usual time to slow down, and if possible, delay their commute by 2-3 hours. Usually they're telling everyone that all the wrecks are being caused by people not driving correctly for the weather, but this morning...they didn't do that. Probably because the streets looked free and clear until a vehicle would try to drive on it and slide off.
I think my kids were wondering why I didn't keep them home... I started to wonder the same thing... but Shane was driving and we made it to the school okay, although you could certainly tell the roads were covered in ice. Makes me more addicted to my 4x4 every day. Of course I knew I was addicted to 4 wheel drive the first time we bought a vehicle that had it and I didn't feel like I was going to DIE every time I had to drive on a snow packed street. It was AWESOME! (Although, even with 4 wheel drive it was super slick. I did NOT envy those who didn't have it, at ALL...)
The anomaly for me with this storm was that the snow, which was mixed in with the freezing rain, was actually causing there to be some traction, instead of just ice. Crazy!
And on a side note, I think I am finally starting to feel better....knock on wood... I haven't had to do any breathing treatments today, and that is awesome since yesterday I was still having to do three nebulizer treatments. So, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Now I just have to be careful to not overdue it so I continue to get better!
No comments:
Post a Comment