I have a feeling that I am gong to cry a lot today. It's just a feeling. Probably because even reading Shane's uncle's obituary made me tear up, and whenever anyone talks about him, or I talk about him, or think about him, my eyes get watery. And today is the funeral. So, yup, lot's of tears headed my way. I better take lots of tissues. :)
I also hope, somewhat selfishly, that they serve the traditional funeral food at the lunch. It's comforting to eat comfort food at a funeral...at least it is for me. I have been to a few funerals where they served different food, and my brain was always thinking...whoa, wait a minute! Where's the ham? Where's the yummy potatoes?! There's just something about ham and yummy potatoes that makes it all feel better.
They asked Shane to play taps on a trumpet at the graveside service since his uncle was in the army during WWII, which he is kind of stressed out about. He's a tuba player. He played the trumpet for two years before switching to the baritone and then tuba because his lips are too big for a trumpet mouthpiece. Still, last night he gave it a good effort, and I'll admit, I was very impressed, seeing how he hasn't even touched a trumpet for about 23 years.
His parents told him "no pressure" but I don't know, you can totally tell they want him to do it. His lips are probably still sore from practicing last night, trying to get it to sound just right. Did I forget to mention that they asked him to do it yesterday evening at about 8:30? And the funeral service is TODAY? So, we'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment