Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Name

When I was much younger...think high school... I used to write lists and lists of names that I liked. Then I would draw pictures and name them one of the names that I liked.

When we got married, and I got pregnant with Harrison, we discussed all the names that I liked, and since it was a boy, and we wanted his name to go well with his dad's name, it took some thinking because of the way the names sounded together. We had it narrowed down to Harrison, Addison, and Andrew. Of course we chose Harrison. (We almost picked Addison! I'm glad we didn't since now it is a fairly popular girls name!)

Hazel was almost Samantha until a few months before she was born I was thinking of older names and people I knew that went with those names and thought of my aunt's mother, whose name was Hazel.

Then we had a time gap. We knew what we wanted to name a girl, but the boy name we liked initially (Liam) I attached to a baby I miscarried, and then the other boy name we liked, (Aiden) my cousin used to name her baby, which was fine, but I decided it was a very popular name, and I have never really liked to name my kids super popular names since I always felt bad for the kids in my grade that had to deal with having 4 or 5 other people named the same thing.

We decided on Jeffrey, which suits him perfectly, used to be popular but not so popular now, which is great! And is named after someone that we both admire quite a bit.

This time around we had a harder time trying to think of a boy name that we both liked, that we didn't feel like they would be teased for, that they could handle having their whole life, and that just sounded right.

I thought I would give the kids a chance to put in their two cents worth, and Hazel didn't have any ideas, and Harrison informed me that he would need to get to know the baby first, their likes and dislikes, their personality....I told him that I didn't want to wait a year after the baby was born to know what to name him. Hehehe....

We toyed with the idea of Caspian, but I felt like it was a little too trendy for us, since we're not super trendy people. I mentioned the name Ivan, which Shane really liked, but then once I thought about it, decided it wasn't right. We narrowed it down to three possibilites...

Isaac, Emmett, and Preston.

And the winner is (unless we change our minds again, of course!)

Emmett Nathaniel

Harrison and Hazel approved too. :)

3 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

I like it! I love the name "Nathaniel". It was one of the names on the list I made in high school, too! Naming rights is one of the best things about becoming parents, I think. I like your thought processes on all your children's names!

Marsha said...

It's so nice to have a name picked out, because then you can stop saying, "the baby" all the time and start saying "Emmett."

Kenzie said...

Wow you guys picked a name fast. It takes us months to figure out a name we can both agree on.