Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Feeling Puney

It's been an interesting time the past few months.
So, a little back story...if it's TMI for you, then just stop reading, that's all I can say.

Back in June I had to take some Provera because I hadn't had my period start for over six weeks, and I'd taken about three pregnancy tests just to make sure I wasn't pregnant. In all honesty it really didn't feel like the Provera did anything, and in my mind it's a toss-up between the Provera, the Vitex I started to take, or a combination of the two that got my body doing what it's supposed to.

Then came July. I always keep record of when my cycles start so I can know what is or isn't going on in my body. Well, my period never came! AGAIN. I grumbled a little, and went and bought some majorly cheap pregnancy tests but didn't take them.

Also about this time I got put on Glumetza which is an extended release metformin pill to help regulate my insulin resistance in hopes that I would start to lose weight. Well, one of the side effects of metformin is that you basically feel like crap until your body gets used to it. Sounds lovely I know. I even started vigilantly monitoring my carb intake so that my blood sugar would stay more regulated an not spike.

Anyway, so then came my birthday week, and we were camping, and I was feeling gross even watching my carb intake. After we came home, I thought to myself, ya know, cycle still hasn't started. You should probably take one of those tests. So I did. Then both lines on the test turned pink. HOLY CANOLI!

So, my friends, there was a reason why I was feeling gross and disgusting and it had nothing to do with the metformin! Well, not all anyway. So yes, I am PREGNANT!

I told myself I wasn't going to share this tidbit of news with hardly anyone  until I went to my first appointment, but I feel so cruddy, I just had to share everything. I have never felt so sick with ANY of my pregnancies. Oddly enough, I keep thinking, "Well, at least feeling sick is a GOOD thing." Hopefully it means everything is taking place that is supposed to.

Now the answers to the questions that everyone I tell (all five of them...well, except my friend Marsha, she was just ecstatically happy for me) anyway, the answers to questions that everyone seems to ask....

Did we plan it? See, I never really know how to answer this question. Really. I don't. I used to believe in "planning" back before I had kids and thought it was feasible. Then, after Hazel, and the SEVEN years it took to get Jeffrey, I was just so relieved to be pregnant. So, I usually say, well, I wasn't pining for a baby, because really, Jeffrey is just barely turning one, BUT we weren't preventing pregnancy either, so it came as a happy shock to have it happen this quickly.

When are you due? Well, if the pregnancy is following the typical calendar (which I won't know really until I go to the doctor) it puts the tentative due date as March 23rd.

Do we want a boy or a girl? While I am sure many people think I am lying to say, "I just want a healthy baby," in my case, it's true. I have boys, and a girl, and I really would be content with either one. Shane, would really like another little girl. I think this is mainly because we have had the name picked out for years, and also, we get a beautiful blessing dress made by his mom. :)

Is this good news? Well, of COURSE it's good news! To us anyway. I don't know that anyone could relate to how good this news is, unless they have dealt with difficulties in conceiving before. I mean, really, in my mind, I just keep thinking that this baby is really supposed to come to our family for it to happen this quickly after  a previous pregnancy, with my body and all it's issues in the past. Really, I just keep calling this baby "miracle number four."

I had a whole list of questions and answers and literally, these are the only ones I can think of right now. So, we will see how many people read my blog, because I'm not posting this anywhere else. :)


7 comments:

Marsha said...

Again, I say, wow, wow, WOW!!! I am so happy for you guys. I sure hope everything goes well at your first appointment. Even though Scott and I just had our second appointment, I was still really nervous until the doctor told us that everything still looks perfect. YIPPEE!

darcymae said...

Wow!! Awesome!! So happy for you guys and SOOO jealous!

Salmon Tolman Family said...

what happy, unexpected, awesome, surprising, wonderful news!

Debra said...

Congrats! I hope that everything goes well for you...

DaNise said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you. I hope that you and baby stay healthy and happy.

M and M said...

Yahoo! Mel, congrats this is so exciting! What an interesting turn of events! We are so happy for you!

Jan J said...

Mel, this is the greatest news! You guys are such great parents & will be a great blessing to the new sweetie coming to your family!