Thursday, March 22, 2012

What a Day

Today was....interesting...as was last night...

So, since Tuesday I have kind of dreaded today. Then, yesterday Hazel felt sick enough that we let her stay home. At about 4 pm she was screaming in agony which prompted us to make an instacare appointment at the pediatric after hours clinic. After listening to her scream for 10-15 minutes we just took ourselves to the doctor's office to see if they wanted us to head over to the ER.

That led to an ER visit to rule out appendicitis. Of course, as soon as we walked through the magical ER doors Hazel was fine. Laughing, giggling, and squirming like a caterpillar all over the gurney. Inwardly I groaned because I just LOVE the bills you get from the ER, but at the same time, we went at the recommendation of the pediatrician, so, it wasn't just me being paranoid for once.

The ER doctor was very nice and had them run the typical tests, all which came back normal. Then he told us to watch her overnight and if there was no improvement or she got worse, to bring her back the next morning. Well, today rolled around, and she was not improved at all. If anything she was less energetic and just wanted to sleep and not eat. All mild signs of appendicitis.

So, back to the ER we went. They drew her blood again, and this time did a CT scan. She wasn't AS giggly as she was yesterday, but again, I just sat there and thought, "why am I here?" It's a double-edged sword. Although it did make me feel better to have the doctor tell me that there was definitely "something" causing her pain, we just needed to determine if it needed to have surgery or not. So, the CT scan came back normal, and the blood tests came back normal again.

I would like to say that we are over the bump on this one, but, this evening Hazel started screaming again. So, I had her take a warm bath and the pain went away. That is encouraging, but I also know that even if it has been ruled out, it doesn't mean we are in the clear. I have had a niece and nephew prove this to me with ruptured appendixes that started out with an ER visit where everything was determined "normal." So, we'll see. I hope she gets better soon!

All of this on the day Sylvie was put to sleep. Shane got the job of taking her to that appointment. The vet agreed that it was the nicest thing we could do for her because she was obviously not doing well.

Not surprisingly, Harrison had a very rough day at school. Poor kid. I knew it was at least in part because he was sad to lose his doggie friend, and he was worried about Hazel.

What a day.

No comments: