Sunday, March 25, 2012

Update

So, this very long weekend is finally starting to look a teensy bit better.

One of the things that I did always appreciate at the ER was that the doctors were always very concerned. They never made me feel like I shouldn't be there. It was the nurse on Friday.

The other thing was that her tests always came back normal. Not just, kind of normal, or borderline normal, but very very normal. No elevation in ANYTHING. The ultrasound, CT scan, and x-ray, all normal.
Anyway, on Friday, the doctor told us that she was really backed up. I had wondered, but she kept telling us that she was having bowel movements, so I didn't think that could be it. The screenings suggested otherwise.

On top of it all she started getting a cold/cough/fever. This certainly didn't help anything, because then we didn't know if the fever was from the cold, or from an infection, or from not adequately being able to go to the bathroom.

Anyway, they gave her a dulcolax, and some advil, and told me that if she hadn't passed anything by noon the next day she would need to be seen again...unfortunately. Then as I was leaving the nurse very rudely told me that the ER doc had talked about the case with the general surgeon and the surgeon concurred with him. Like I was a total moron and didn't believe the ER doc in the first place. (This ER doc likes to run cases by the general surgeons all the time, which I actually think is a nice thing because then they are getting a second opinion from someone who specializes in that area.)

The ER doctor also told us, that we really needed her to get cleaned out so we could see if there was an underlying pain that the constipation was masking. I was very glad that he didn't just brush it off as nothing, but more of a, we need to see if something else is going on, but we need to get this taken off the list of possibilities.

So, Saturday morning we made an appointment with her pediatrician who happened to be in the office. Usually it's the PA, so I was very happy it was her regular doctor. The hospital had been sending him reports of all their labs and tests, so he was all up to date on everything that had been going on. He talked with us about what had been going on, and then examined Hazel. I told him what they had given her, and also that it hadn't done anything at all. So, he gave us a much more aggressive list of things to do. I felt like I was getting her prepped for a colonoscopy.

Saturday evening she was screaming bloody murder again, and still hadn't really had a successful bowel movement so I called her doctor and he gave me one last thing to try before she would end up admitted to the hospital. It worked well enough that she didn't have to go in. Her fever was also going up a little and went to 102, so we gave her more advil.

This morning, her fever has broken, (I think) and she is FINALLY going to the bathroom. Ironically enough, the cold/virus probably helped with that a little. She told me her stomach still hurts a tiny bit, but when I had her use the pain scale when she was really in pain and she told me it was a seven, and now I ask her and she says it's a two, I think that is very much improved.

Hopefully things will continue to get better!

No comments: