Friday, January 27, 2012

Seriously

So, the title is meant in a very sarcastic tone. I feel like I have been very hit and miss with my blog lately, but I can't think of anything to write. Every time I get on here is just...nothing. Nothing comes to mind. Zilch. Zippo. Nada.

Maybe it's because it's winter. Maybe it's because I feel blah and wish I could motivate myself to do more when Jeffrey takes a nap. All I do when he does take a nap is sleep myself. If he was still on his crazy newborn schedule, this would be understandable, but he typically isn't.

Last night was unusual because he stayed up until MIDNIGHT. Blech. Other than that though, he usually goes down between 9-11 pm and sleeps until 6 or 7. So, I certainly can't complain about that!

Apparently I need some more goals to work on. That seems to motivate me pretty good. I'll have to think about that one...

I was a mean mom again this week. I finally had HAD it. Every afternoon when I would go pick the kids up from school Hazel would be SO SLOW. SO SLOW. I mean, we're talking last kid out of the school slow, FOR NO REASON. Just because. So, I had been irritated and then, when it took her TWENTY minutes to come out, I told her that there was going to be a consequence if she didn't start coming out more promptly.

Then, in a moment of parent meanness clarity, it hit me...Hazel LOVES her toys. She has way too many toys. So, I told her that every day that she didn't come out quickly (within reason) she would lose a toy. I would get to pick it, and she wouldn't be able to earn it back. It would be gone permanently.

Apparently I must have a tone of voice when my kids know that I am NOT kidding around and it will definitely happen the way I said, because for the rest of the week, she has been oodles faster. It has been so nice. :)

I know that if I was a good and nice parent I would think of a more positive way to do this, but positive things never seem to work for my kids. They don't care if they earn stickers or candy or game time. This though...this is Hazel's money, and she will do anything to keep her stuff...so I'm going with it!

No comments: