Thursday, June 30, 2011

Whoa!

It must be a combination of the hot weather and being basically homebound, but I just had a realization after my doctor appointment yesterday...

We are getting close to adding a new member to our family! Yippee!!! Only about 8 weeks! And if my past history has anything to say about it, it will be more like 6 weeks.

I think this is the first time since having kids that I actually have made it to the point where you start going to the doctor every two weeks instead of every four. This is a HUGE accomplishment for me.

With Harrison, by this time I was in the hospital and got pneumonia. Then we were in and out of the hospital until he was born. He was the baby I earned the "most complicated patient" award from my doctor. Hehehe....I guess that's better than my s-i-l who earned the "scariest delivery award" from her doctor...yeah, I don't want to have her experience that's for sure...

With Hazel I was on bedrest and in and out of the hospital until she was born. Then she was in the NICU for 4 and a half weeks. NOT FUN.

It is a relief to only be on "take it easy" bedrest with Jeffrey and still be able to do some things. I keep telling him, develop those lungs, NO NICU BABIES this time!!

He is quite active these days which is quite a relief. One less thing to worry about. :)

The doctor also did a basic ultrasound just to make sure everything was okay, and it all looked good. I kind of got the impression that if I was really adamant about it, he would have let me attempt a VBAC (I could also tell that he wasn't overly excited about the idea which was fine), but knowing what I do about risk factors and my own condition, which tends to be in the "higher risk" category in the first place, I am content to have a c-section.

Because of all the risks involved, it really isn't even that tempting really. Maybe if I wasn't having any problems at all, everything was 100% okay with the baby, and everything else, then maybe, I would be tempted, because even then, there is a higher risk, but the odds are better.

At this point though, I just want a healthy baby, and if the most risk free way to get him here is with a c-section, then so be it.

1 comment:

Debra said...

I see absolutely nothing wrong with you being content with a cesarean. My last planned cesarean babys recovery was so much quicker than my daughter who was natural and my son who was also a Cesarean after 20+ hours of labor...I am totally supportive of you having a cesarean. In fact, I am really looking forward to having my fourth baby girl cesarean again. I love that I can plan, give myself a few more days to recover and know what works for me and what doesn't...I am glad that things are going well for you. I hope they continue to go smooth. Hang in there Melissa...I am very excited for you and it's fun to know that you and I are experiencing much of the same discomforts and joys of bringing a little one into this world:)