Monday, June 13, 2011

3 Hours

So, I went and took the three hour glucose tolerance test on Friday. It was a LONG day. I'm glad I didn't get sick since I basically didn't get to eat anything until 2 PM.

I've decided there is really only one glucose drink that tastes good.
There seem to be a couple of flavors... the most popular being orange, but I guess there is also fruit punch, lemon-lime, and cola.

I haven't had the opportunity to try fruit punch yet. Maybe it tastes like a super concentrated syrupy version of Hawaiian Punch, and if that's the case, than I would probably like it, since I have a mega sweet tooth and have always liked Hawaiian Punch. :)

I have however had the unfortunate adventure of drinking the cola flavored one. Blech! I have never had a problem drinking the glucose drinks, but when I was pregnant with Hazel, they gave me a cola flavored one...and it was warm instead of cold...and they didn't give me any ice to drink with it. Yeah, it was nasty.

I imagine it tasted similar to what Coca cola would taste like after you left it sitting out on the table for a week. Since I've never actually done that, I can't say it's EXACTLY like it, but it still makes me cringe just thinking about it, and that was over seven years ago!

The flavor they had at the lab was lemon-lime. It was okay at first, but it had a nasty after taste and it got more and more difficult to swallow the farther along I got. I thought for the most part it tasted kind of like flat sprite.

My favorite flavor is orange because it tastes like orange hi-c which is what I always like to get when I go to the movies and I don't have to worry about my sugar intake. I have a feeling it will have to be a happy memory. :)

My arms survived the experience, although one is nice and bruised. I am hoping that I am just borderline, so we will keep on hoping until I hear otherwise. :)

2 comments:

Kenzie said...

I hated taking the 3 hour test. Fortunately, the lab had the orange drink pre-refrigerated. I remember feeling a little shaky after it was all done and could hardly wait to eat some protein. At my next appt, they told me I only failed the 1 hour by one point and passed the 3 hour test. I didn't know they made other flavors of the drink. I have heard some drs. let their patients eat a king size candy bar instead of the drink for the one hour test.

Jess'n'John said...

I only ever had the orange drink, and I made sure it was nice a freezing cold while I chugged it. Hopefully your long pokey test will come back with you being just fine! :-)