Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hmm...

So, today was my big OB ultrasound. I didn't realize it, but the place my doctor had me have an ultrasound actually has a perinatologist look at the ultrasound and verify things too. I thought that was pretty cool.

Here are the things we learned. The baby is definitely a boy. :) He wasn't shy in sharing that information with us. The heart looked really good, and it was neat to be able to see all the chambers and things. Everything looked normal and good except they could only see and verify one kidney.

So, next month I have a follow up ultrasound to see if they can see both kidneys. They may have to wait until the baby is born to see both kidneys, or our baby may only have one kidney.

While of course it would be optimal to have both kidneys, it isn't terrible to only have one kidney...as long as the kidney is functional, and they could tell on the ultrasound that it was functioning.

The other interesting thing that happened with this appointment, was that while I had made the appointment for April 19th, somehow it got scheduled for May 19th. WOW. For a minute I thought they were going to make me come back on May 19th, which wouldn't have worked because it's my call day at work, but they just figured it was a scheduling error and fit me in when my appointment was supposed to be scheduled for. I was impressed by that, because not very many places would do that.

1 comment:

Debra said...

I hope everything continues to go well...What a miracle!