Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Growing Pains

Change can be difficult. Especially when you have to change something that you've internally thought or believed or been taught your entire life. Either because of the way people have treated you or what you've experienced in life.

Here is my current change, and epiphany...

I've always viewed criticism as bad. Criticism itself is a negative word with negative conotations. Constructive criticism is still negative. There is still that pessimisstic word..."criticism" on there. If someone is criticizing you it's because they think you are doing something wrong. You're doing it the "Wrong" way.

So, it has been a little eye opening and somewhat...changing for me, to change this view. Here is the optimistic and positive way to view this. It isn't criticism...it's direction. Someone is "directing" you in a way that will help you do something better. It's not that you are doing something "wrong," it's that if you do it a different way, it will help you achieve greater things.

So, I have to keep reminding myself that it's not that I'm bad, or doing it horrible or wrong, or that I'm not good enough, it's that there is a better way to do it. If I choose to accept that direction, I can achieve greater things.

Criticism- negative, bad

Direction- helpful, good

Amazing how one little word can change something from being a negative, bad, you can't do this, to a positive, here do it this way, achieve more thing.

I'm still working on it. In fact, I just had this epiphany last night, so it really won't be in effect until tomorrow. Tomorrow will be an interesting day.

1 comment:

juddfam said...

Ooooo, I like this. I find myself struggling with the same thing. Or taking any type of comment as crtisism, even if it isn't advice or suggestion.