So, today I made one of my FAVORITE soups ever, and it is SO easy!! I love it! I know that some people may not like it, and you can definitely make it more "fresh" than I do, but one of the things that I love about it is it uses up some of my canned veggies.
My kids...well, Harrison is at that stage where he has realized that he might as well eat it, because he isn't going to get anything else, and if he doesn't like one thing he can pick out what he doesn't like.
Hazel...dear dear Hazel is my picky little girl. She didn't used to be. When she was a toddler, she would eat whatever you gave her. ANYTHING. She liked it all. Now, if it looks funny, she doesn't like it. If for some strange unknown reason she has just decided, she doesn't like it. Even if it is something she's eaten before and liked, she doesn't like it. Even if it has things in it she likes, she won't eat it. Well...so be it. One day, I hope she will begin to like eating good food again!
So, anyway, here is my recipe for Beef and Barley Vegetable Soup.
Beef and Barley Soup
2 cans diced Italian syle tomatoes
1 can diced carrots
1 can green beans
1 can corn if desired
ground beef, or stew meat
quick pearled barley
Cook ground beef or chunked stew meat (or steak, roast, whatever it all tastes great). When it is browned add a couple tablespoons dried onion, and garlic salt to taste. Drain if desired.
Add cans of tomatoes, carrots, green beans, and one to two cans of water, depending on how much soup you want to make. You can use regular diced tomatoes or just tomato broth if you don't like tomato chunks in your soup. If you want to use fresh sliced carrots I'm sure you could, it just takes longer to cook. If you want to make more just add more cans of veggies. You could also use frozen vegetables if you like the way they taste better.
Once it starts to boil add at least 3/4 cup of quick pearled barley.
Turn down heat to low and let cook until barley is soft.
Eat and enjoy!!
1 comment:
i read somewhere once that kids are generally very open to new thing up until they are like 2 years old. and then they get picky. but SUPPOSEDLY anything that they had been introduced to in those first two years, they would still be willing to eat. i'm not sure i believe that since i have one good eater and one picky eater!
Post a Comment