Saturday, January 8, 2011

Amazing

I was reflecting on past experiences this morning and thinking about being pregnant, and while very happy and excited, how all kinds of emotions come flooding through my mind.

It is very interesting being a surgical tech at a small hospital because we do c-sections. I think I've mentioned before that usually there are specific people at larger hospitals who do c-sections...and that's ALL they do.

It doesn't mean the care is better or worse, it just means they only do c-sections. Being a surgical tech on a c-section is unlike any other surgery I have ever done. Instead of one life, you're worried about two. Instead of worrying about whether the mom is okay and everything, you are worried about the baby coming out okay. It takes a while to get over that. I still get an adrenaline rush when I am the tech on a c-section. I always want it to go smoothly and for everything to be perfect.

There are times when they have patients deliver in the OR because they are concerned that they may have to do a c-section, and they would rather have a double setup (meaning that the regular delivery stuff is set up, and then all the c-section supplies are in the room in case they need them).

This usually happens if the mom is going to try and deliver a breech baby, or twins.

A whole different feeling is in the room when you have a double setup versus just doing a c-section.

I remember the first time I was in the room on a double setup, I will never forget the patient and their spouse. When that baby was born, they were crying tears of joy they were so happy, and I cried, because the feeling of love in that room was so strong.

Life is amazing.

1 comment:

Patty B. said...

Just dropped by and got caught up with you! Congratulations!

You're right, life is amazing; all sides of it!