So, I have been a little depressed lately. That's all I can chalk it up to. Everything seems to make me sad. Every time someone writes about anything wonderful I turn into Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh... "Everybody but me..." I don't like feeling this way.
I was assigned to teach the family home evening lesson at my parents today, and in my mind I thought, I want to teach a lesson about blessings. Maybe the Holy Ghost inserted that into my head, because when you start thinking about what you DO have, instead of what you DON'T, life doesn't look as grim and dark as before. Still, then I feel guilty for thinking negative thoughts, because I really do have a ton to be grateful for. Eventually though, and I have learned this from experience (you'd think I would remember before I get to this point) eventually, the good grateful for everything thoughts begin to overpower the dark negative ones.
So, since it is December, and Christmas is approaching, I decided it is the perfect time to begin writing down the blessings that I have. I know I have done this before, but that was the tip of the iceburg! So, we will see if I can write about others...or maybe the same ones, but either way, it will be something on the positive side.
BOOKS
Does that seem like something silly to consider a blessing? Well, I'll explain a little then I guess. I LOVE BOOKS. I really do. When I was young, I remember going to the Book-mobile (For those that don't know what that is, it is a library on wheels that stops around different rural areas). My sister would take me, and she would always grab a huge stack of books, and I would grab two or three. Eventually I remember thinking, "If she can get lots of books, I can too!" and I began to check out a lot of books. Then the challenge began to be reading all the books I had checked out before it was time to turn them back in.
When I married Shane I learned that his Dad had never really had any books in his home growing up. It had become a very important think for his Dad and his Mom that their kids had books around. They would each get a book for Christmas. So, consequently, Shane loves books too. This is good, because Shane is very considerate and realizes that when I am really really stressed out, reading helps me unwind.
So, I am grateful for books, and I am glad that my kids each have a collection of books, that we have the ability to get them books, and that they enjoy them. Nothing made me smile more than when we went to a store and they both ran for the book section, even over the toys!
1 comment:
I love books too! HUGE blessing in my life!! And you know me... NO KINDLE OR DIGITAL READING!!! :)
Post a Comment