This piece of music is definitely a blessing in my life. There seem to be two huge ways to reach my heart, and music is VERY high on that list.
I first went to a Messiah Sing Along when I was... about 12. My sister took me to the one that was in our area. If I remember right, it was one of the first times they performed it. We sat and sang and it was wonderful. At that time I really only had even heard two of the songs... the Hallelujah chorus, and For Unto Us A Child Is Born.
After I started playing the cello, I started playing in the Messiah Sing Along, because they ALWAYS need string players. By the time I ended high school, I had performed it 4 times.
When I went down to college, there was a community orchestra in Kanab that needed more strings (I know, KANAB is NOT a huge place, and they have a thriving community orchestra!) The difference was that the Kanab orchestra played a lot more songs out of the book than the one I had played in high school, so it was good.
When they started the sing along where I currently live, they played a LOT of the songs in the book. The edition we play is, I think, one of the most common, and even it is a chopped version. To play the entire Messiah work, I've heard takes about 4 hours...or even longer.
This year we are playing a good amount. Not as many as before, and some of my favorites have been cut, but it will still be a good experience. I LOVE this piece of music.
It speaks to my heart and soul and just fills up my being with goodness. What a blessing!
No comments:
Post a Comment