Monday, September 27, 2010

Green is Great!

So, the kiddos have been back to school for a whole month now. It never ceases to amaze me how the time seems to fly by.

When Harrison left public school to be homeschooled a few years ago, things had reached a very low and frustrating level. I still remember him being in Kindergarted and 1st grade and having him NEVER stay on GREEN, EVER. I had come to think of the pullcard system as stupid and not effective (at least not for him).

We would get called all the time. He would see the principal ALL THE TIME, and nothing mattered. Then in 1st grade a bully was thrown into the mix, and it just got worse.

So, fast-forward to now. I guess there are a few things...he is more mature. He is in 4th grade, which I guess is a "turning point" grade for a lot of kids. As a parent I took a more pro-active route and talked to Harrison's principal and teacher BEFORE he even started school there.

This year, so far, he has been on green more than the other colors. There was a week where he was being impulsive, and got on yellow and one red, but we talked about his behavior, and then after that...green!

Part of me feels like I am in the twilight zone because it is SO DIFFERENT from prior years.

Hopefully it is a sign of good things yet to come!

2 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

What a pleasant feeling! Life goes so much better when children enjoy life at school!
P.S. We do not use the card system, so I completely unfamiliar with the colors. But I assume it's like a stoplight: green for good, yellow for warning, red for bad situations?

Melissa said...

Well, I still have my wonderings about the system, because really it depends on the teacher and how they utilize it. It is semi-working with Harrison right now because his teacher gives him a chance to change his behavior (if he's acting out) versus just having him pull a card automatically.
There are variations but you are basically right.
Green means you were good all day
Yellow means you broke one rule, disobeyed, etc..
Red means you broks two rules
Blue means you broke more rules and you get to talk to the principal
Black means you get to talk to the principal AND your parents are called.