Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Black is black...

Well, apparently I spoke too soon. I received a call at work (I was the "helper" tech or the person who basically runs around and does whatever anyone needs them to. Where I work it is called "floating.") anwyay, since I was floating I was able to take the call.

It was Harrison's principal, letting me know about some of the behavior that Harrison has been exhibiting at school today and yesterday. Yesterday the principal gave a warning to the 1st and 4th grade classes, just in general, and let them know that if they did the same thing again, she would call their parents. Well...Harrison and two other boys (who were 1st graders) did the same thing today, so she called me to let me know.

While I was somewhat irritated with Harrison's behavior, I was impressed with the principal's way of handling it. She told me that she didn't know WHO was the instigator, but it didn't matter because they were ALL taking part. Nice! I mean that it a very good way. I was glad that it wasn't just pinpointed to WHO started it, but rather, the fact that they were all in trouble because they all did it.

So, I had to call Shane and let him know, because I was at work, and on call, and I knew that I would either FORGET or not be able to deal with it in a timely matter. Shane was about as happy as I was when he found out.

Then when he talked to Harrison and asked him how his day had gone Harrison told him that it was pretty good and that he stayed on green. This is technically true, because his teacher didn't have him pull his card. Shane had to explain to him that even though he didn't get a card pulled, having the principal call home means he was doing BLACK BEHAVIOR! I agreed.

So, now I have to decide on a consequence. Shane told me that when he talked to Harrison he was too upset to really talk to him for very long, and I'm guessing the consequence didn't get discussed. At this point in time I'm about to tell him that he will have to go pick up rocks in the garden for one hour for a week after school! Hmm...that consequence is sounding better all the time... :)

1 comment:

Patty B. said...

Parenting isn't very fun, sometimes, especially when it comes to finding a consequence for a behavior. Sounds like you've got it handled quite well. Rock clearing works for our kids.
Good luck!