So, it's kind of interesting how when you have a job in a certain field it can affect your way of thinking in other areas.
I remember when I was growing up that my mom was a nurse and worked at a hospital and my dad was an engineer for autoliv (which manufactures airbags) so we knew all the statistics on car accidents and why it was crucial to wear a seatbelt and to have everyone in the vehicle properly restrained... think health class/driver's ed video magnified by a thousand.
Well, since I became a surgical tech back in 2003 things become much more apparent in my brain, things that I may have thought about, but not really focused on. Things like, what happens to your body in a car accident, motorcycle crash, and how you sit in the vehicle would affect what injuries you have if you get in a wreck.
This only becomes more obvious when we drive down the freeway and pass a vehicle with someone in the front passenger seat with their feet up on the dash. I can't say that I've ever really understood this even before I thought of the consequences because it really doesn't look all that comfortable to me...(Shane feels the same way.)
The last time we were passing a vehicle with someone sitting like this we even talked about it. How if you got in an accident the force of the crash would basically force your legs upward into your face in a v-shape and possibly forcing the dash through your legs. Sounds fun yeah? Broken spine, broken legs...yeah...good times.
2 comments:
I'm one of those people who puts my feet up on the dashboard when we go on long roadtrips... and now you have convinced me to NEVER do that again!!! :)
i put my feet up on the dashboard all the time. its actually quite comfortable. hubby and i have talked about all the bad that would happen if we got in an accident while i was sitting like that and yet i still do. i say that i'll pull them down really fast when i see that an accident is imminent (ha!).
Post a Comment