So there have been a few things that I married into when I married Shane. Shane's family is very exciting and boistrous and loud, and my family is more on the quiet, serious, side...to an extent. I don't feel either one is "better" than the other. They both have their pro's and con's.
Shane's brothers and Shane are all very creative people. They see something, they want to have it, so they decide to make it. Why buy what you can figure out and make yourself? Right? So, sometimes this creative gene leads to more accident/injury prone behavior.
My brothers had their moments too, believe me. (Two of my brothers in particular but we won't name names... ;)
Anyway, let's take yesterday as an example... Shane's oldest brother apparently made a motocross racetrack in his backyard. Ooo, neato! So, of course, Shane's two younger brothers felt the need to duplicate this. I've learned a lot about making a motocross racetrack, that I am sure I will file away into the useless information pile in my brain, but I will never forget it!
So, here's what happened. They made the track YESTERDAY during the day, and then decided to race on it. Can you imagine what I am going to write? Do you think this sounds like a good idea? My hubby didn't think it sounded like a super wonderful idea either.
The inevitable happened. Shane's next younger brother's bike's front tire got caught in the soft dirt, flipped him over the handlebars and then rolled over him. I guess we should be grateful they were wearing motorcycle helmets, shirts, pants, and motorcycle boots. Still, it quite effectively broke his femur all the way through. I was also quite glad that it wasn't a compound fracture (going through the skin).
No, I didn't actually see it happen. No one was videotaping the experience for future viewing on youtube, which they were all quite bummed about. Even the injured brother. I know! So they videotaped him getting put on the ambulance instead. I told
Shane if I got injured he was NOT ALLOWED to videotape ANYTHING!!
I can now honestly say that I have been on the receiving end of a 911 call. We were out in the boonies and I was quite impressed at how quickly they came. The police showed up within 4 min the first responders in 5. I thought that was pretty amazing.
So, for future reference in case you need this information, here are some tips:
1. Don't make your own motocross racetrack... :)
2. If you make one, let the jumps cure until they are hard enough to ride on.
3. If you wreck and injure yourself DO NOT TAKE OFF YOUR HELMET!! I know, sounds simple, but you forget these things in the stress of the moment. By the time my hubby and I got out there they had already taken his helmet off.
And if you are asking yourself if my brother-in-law learned his lesson...well... in the hospital he asked his mom if she could sew his motorcycle pants back together (they had to cut them off). Nuf said.
When the family minus the injured brother got back from the hospital they asked me about the type of surgery he would have to have. See, it CAN be useful to have a surgical tech in the family! ;)