Tuesday, June 8, 2010

After much deliberation....

So, another school year has successfully been completed. Harrison's UTVA online charter school actually finished a week before our district, so he was out before Hazel, but all's well that ends well...right?

It has been quite a year. Shane taught Harrison his schoolwork once I got a job, and did really well at it. However, we decided that next year Harrison would go back to public school.

While he doesn't feel ready, we feel like he is. So, we will see! He and Hazel will be going to a different school because they realigned the boundaries, so, that will be interesting too. I am hoping it will be a good experience.

Still, I think that UTVA is a good option for people who want to homeschool. Your child is still enrolled in a "public" school so you don't have to fill out a release form, and they still do testing at the beginning and ending of the school year just like the elementary schools. Plus, since it is public you get all your books and curriculum for free (due to your taxpayer dollars) :).I liked that, because if you homeschool you still pay taxpayer dollars and then have to provide all your books and curriculum, which can be quite pricey.

I liked the K12 curriculum, which is what UTVA uses. It is nice because you have a teacher assigned to you, and if you have any problems, questions, concerns, you can call them and they can give you ideas, and additional help in teaching your child. They can even arrange tutor sessions if your child needs them.

Washington Online is also good. It is another Utah online public school program that uses K12. Some people like it better because it is a little more relaxed than UTVA.

No comments: