Heather entered my life for the very first time when I was in my 2nd play of my play career...which was also the last play of my play career...hehehe...
When I really got to know Heather, was my junior/senior year of high school. I don't really remember how we became best buds, but it happened. All I really remember is having her sign my yearbook at the end of one year, and then the next year we were friends. (Do you remember any better than this Heather?)
Anyway, my senior year was a BLAST and I owe most of that to Heather. I never fit into the social norms of anything, least of all the environment of high school. I think the reason I shy away from class reunions is because my closest friends were mainly older and younger than me, although there were a few in my own grade as well.
Heather kept me sane. Life was difficult for me in high school and my senior year was no picnic on the emotion front. I had a lot of things to deal with, that I won't go into here, and that most people don't know about, but Heather's family was like a second family to me. Her mom was someone that I could talk to, and she liked having me around (which Heather informed me was RARE) and I was there A LOT.
Every Friday was movie night. I would go over there for dinner, we would put the little kids to bed, pop popcorn, have candy from the "Friday night candy stash" and usually some flavor of homemade ice cream, and then we would watch a movie.
The next year I left for college, and Heather kept me updated with cards and letters. Being far away from home, everything from everyone counted, and I treasured that correspondence.
We lost touch after that, with the rigamarole of my life and crazy things going on in Heather's life, and I always felt bad that our close friendship had somehow slid away from my fingers and we just exchanged cards at Christmas.
A couple of years ago, a tragedy occurred in my life that really raked me over the coals, and I completely unloaded on Heather (via e-mail). Our friendship was rekindled and has been going strong ever since.
Once a friend with Heather, ALWAYS a friend with Heather! And that's not a bad thing. I'm glad I have Heather in my life.
5 comments:
That pretty much made me cry... in a good way. I love you.
I have to agree whole heartedly with this blog! Heather is an angel!
Frankly, so are you. :)
I LOVED Heather's house...and I think I only went there once or twice! Heather was and is a great friend!!! Glad you're still in touch!
What a great tribute to a friend!
Nice idea, highlighting friends! It's great to hear about special people and what they mean to you. Very uplifting!
This is such a nice post! It reminds us all that we need a good friend in our lives.
clothedmuch.blogspot.com
Post a Comment