I love Thanksgiving. I LOVE IT! It was great this year too. We went to my parent's house and all my siblings but one were there. (The other sibling lives far far away, so while we missed them, it was understandable...)
When I mentioned to some of my coworkers that I loved Thanksgiving they asked me if it was because you get to gorge yourself on food. I thought about that for about a millisecond, and then informed them that while the food was definitely an added bonus, I liked the togetherness without having to deal with the commercialism of Christmas. (I like Christmas too...just not as much...).
There are always a few foods that stay the same each year...turkey, of course! (sometimes a ham as well, if we are at Shane's parents...) Candied Yams, homemade rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, and a various array of salads. The salads change each year. Sometimes we have a cheese ball, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we have a relish tray, sometimes we don't...and of course PIE! Can't forget the pie. I think my favorite is banana cream pie. Homemade. From scratch.
One year when I was in high school we made a banana cream pie with homemade pudding, and ever since then...we have been ruined for life. You cannot go back to storebought pudding mix and make a banana cream pie. It just isn't the same.
My s-i-l always makes pomegranate pie, and I like that a lot too. I HATE pumpkin pie. I know. How can I love Thanksgiving and hate pumpkin pie? Well, it is one of my talents apparently. I don't hate the flavor though, it's the texture that gets me. It just makes me gag and I seriously can't even swallow. Blech.
Ahh...I love Thanksgiving. Makes me want to bake my own turkey so I can have some more yumminess and leftovers just for us. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment