Friday, August 14, 2009

Some things are better as memories...

So, the other day we were at Shane's mom's and he found a bunch of video tapes that had shows recorded on them. One had an episode of "Columbo." Shane thought that was cool so we brought a bunch of the tapes home.

I guess Shane and his family would watch Columbo all the time, and he remembered it as being a "really cool" mystery show. Kind of like Monk and Psych are now. So, this week we sat down and watched an episode. One episode is and HOUR AND A HALF long!! Which equals 2 hours TV time.

I admit, I was a little sleepy, and ended up falling asleep through part of it. Once we finally finished the show, Shane looked at me and said "Now we need to go watch Psych or Monk or something..."

It is kind of interesting to think about how the general population was when the show was made though. I mean, now, in Psych and Monk, the whole point is to get you to try and notice things and figure them out on your own. When we were watching Columbo the whole entire episode was spoon fed. Instead of just showing you a motion sensor security camera, it added sound effects and showed the camera moving...(although we did get some good laughs...)

Shane figured out all the details that Columbo would notice about 10 seconds after the person committing the crime did them. It took 30 minutes for the show to set up the crime. 30 minutes! I guess I'm used to Monk and Psych where the crime takes place in about 5 minutes or maybe 10 at the max. Then of course there are the episodes where you have to figure out what crime has been committed.

So, it was kind of interesting to notice all the differences, and realize that we were used to a faster pace of show. Which I guess is true for society today. We are faster paced. We want it now! Fast fast fast!

Anyway, it was interesting...

No comments: