Tuesday, August 25, 2009

School is in session...

So, Harrison's virtual school officially started yesterday. I was a little (okay, A LOT) apprehensive about this year, because when the books came there were so many and I just about had a panic attack. What was I thinking? How would I be able to do this? And I think I was still trying to deal with all the crazy things that happened this summer anyway.

Still, I decided that we had come this far and Harrison really wanted to do homeschool for one more year, so I decided to stick it out and see how things went. Well, so far they have gone really well. At least, I think they have!

The books aren't that intimidating, there's just a lot of them, because most of the work is done offline this year. Not a bad thing in my book. I still need to get better prepared for science and art, but we are getting there.

Hazel is SO excited to meet her teacher today. Her school starts next Monday, so there is a week difference, but I don't think it will be that big of a deal. Although, every day she asks me..."Is today the day I get to go to Kindergarten?"

I know you are probably wondering why I homeschool one child and not the other. Well...one child needs the flexibility, and the other child needs the structure and rigidness of a "brick and mortar" school. Hazel fits into the box quite nicely. She could be the mold for all other students. Harrison is an explorer and curious about everything. Neither one is better than the other, it's just that homeschooling lends itself better to Harrison's learning style and emotional needs at this point in time.

When I ask Harrison if he still wants to homeschool, he gives me a very emphatic YES! and then tells me that next year he wants to go back to regular school. Hopefully by that time he will be able to handle it better and have a better experience. I think he will be bored out of his mind...but it's what he wants to try, so we will try it. :)

Onward and upward we go!

No comments: