Saturday, August 29, 2009

Nope

Well I am SURE you are all just DYING to know how my job interview went!

It was WEIRD!

I've had some interesting job interviews but I think this is the top one for weirdness. This felt like a "we already know who we want to hire, but we have to interview more than one person" interview and I was the "more than one person."

Here are some other things that I thought were a little odd...

The interview took place in the reception area of the office. Can't say that I've ever had that experience before...and I felt a little sheepish when I arrived "interview early" which equals 10 minutes early, and I could tell they were still interviewing someone else...

I stood there wondering...do I walk in? am I TOO early? no....hmm...AWKWARD! So, they had me come in and sit down while they were finishing up the interview ahead of me...I found that beyond strange and a little disconcerting...

It didn't help that I could see the change in reaction from when they said goodbye to the person they were interviewing and then said hello to me... (Let's just say I felt like the dirt leftover in the carpet...) So, I just used it as a practice interview and did the best that I could when what I REALLY wanted to do was say:

"Hi, I know you don't want to interview me, so let's just call it good and I'll be on my way..."

I pretended that I had NO CLUE that they really didn't want to talk to me, could really care less about the experience I had, and really had no interest at all in me being a candidate for the job...

I know that sounds negative, but sometimes you get a good vibe from an interview, and sometimes you get a bad vibe from an interview...and this interview had a BAD VIBE even before I opened my mouth.

If they offered me a job, I think I would pass out from shock, but honestly, the more I've thought about it, the more I realize that I don't think I would want to work there. So, we'll see what happens, but I definitely WILL NOT be surprised if they call me and say, "We decided to hire another person..."

Kinda makes me laugh when I think about it... ;)

1 comment:

Eve said...

It reminds me of Mary Poppins. You'd think they'd save you and them some time by just saying, "The position has been filled." (In a great British accent of course.) :) I'm glad you don't have to go through the stress of working for them in order to find out that they're this way. Better to know, and move on.

I have to wonder if the person they're really hiring is an underqualified family member or friend and they had to at least interview qualified candidates in order to justify choosing someone less adequate. In other words--your resume is irresistible!