So, Tuesday I finally gave in and went to the doctor's office to see if I had a UTI. I was abut 99.9% sure that I did...I mean, there isn't really anything else that can give you the same kind of pain that a UTI can.
I kept trying to convince myself that if I just kept taking my cranberry pills the UTI would go away by itself. I am one of those people that has to take cranberry pills EVERY DAY or a UTI is pretty much guaranteed. I slacked off and missed two days. I know some doctors think that cranberry pills are just a load of bunk, but if a specialist thinks that they are a good thing (like say a urologist) then I'm going to take their opinion over someone who doesn't.
Anyway, I got prescribed Macrobid. I took three doses at the required times until I realized that a) I was feeling worse, not better and b) I was starting to have a negative reaction to the medicine. For me, this always seems to be the same reaction, no matter what it is, and that equals my throat feeling like it's swelling shut, difficulty swallowing, and a sensation of loss of breath.
I can still breathe, and I've never had a reaction to the point where I was hospitalized (I mean, I had a reaction like that once, but I was already hospitalized so I don't think it counts...). So no more Macrobid for me! It seems the older I get the more antibiotics I become sensitive to. It sucks.
Then I have to keep track of the medicine that I am sensitive to, and also the drugs that my kids are sensitive to, and keep the two lists separate in my mind. It can get tricky!
But anyway, I guess I can be grateful that I haven't had to go to the ER for any sensitivities to anything, so that's a good thing.
2 comments:
Wow Melissa! That's terrible! I'm glad you're doing okay, drug allergies can be scary!
I've only had UTI once in my life, and it was one of the most painful things ever (it was second only to extreme food poisoning case).
I hope you start feeling not-so-yucky soon!!!
I've never had a UTI BUT I know cranberry pills work because TONS of my friends use them. You go girl! I hope you keep everything straight and get feeling better.
Post a Comment