Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

We had a pretty busy Memorial Day. Usually I do make a stop at some of the graves to put flowers on, but we didn't this year. I did, however, think of them.

Friday night we went camping. We didn't stay very long, just one night, and then left the next afternoon, but it was quite an adventure all the same. Two of Shane's brothers and their families were there, along with Shane's mom and dad. I felt bad for Shane's older brother though. They've been really sick, and were just getting over the nasty virus that they'd all had, and still decided to go camping.

The night we got there one of their sons choked on a piece of steak and it got caught in his throat. He could still breathe and talk, but the piece was still lodged in there. After a few hours he was able to get it to come out. (I'll spare you the disgusting details, use your imagination!) Then, the next day their daughter burned her hands on the edge of the fire. (Not badly, but still...) After that they went out in their boat and their other son was wakeboarding and landed on his face after doing a flip. He got a concussion and they ended up taking him to the hospital where he had a CT scan to make sure there was no internal bleeding. Thankfully there wasn't!

I can gladly say that nothing like that happened to us. No, we just had to deal with ornery children. Although, ornery children do tend to say some pretty funny things. I wish I had written down all the things my kids said in just that time-frame because I was LAUGHING! I do, however, remember the funniest line that Hazel told me. This of course was while she was having a fit because I wouldn't let her change out of the swimsuit she had on, into another dry swimsuit. This is what she informed me:

"But Mom, this suit is TOO WET to go swimming in!"

So, I suppose it was worth it, just for that. :)

1 comment:

Debra said...

What a "memorial" Day Weekend for that family. It could always be worse...