Monday, May 11, 2009

I Guess I've Learned Something...

So, it has been an interesting past couple of days. Saturday was AWESOME! Shane and I haven't been on a date for a while, and Saturday was just one long marathon date, and it was great! That was Shane's Mother's Day gift to me.

First we went to another Hale Center Theatre play. Treasure Island. This play was interesting for me, because I have never really been "into" the Treasure Island story. Still, I went, and hoped to be entertained, and I was! I still don't really care for the Treasure Island story, but the acting was phenomenal, the set amazing, and we even got to talk to one of the guys I knew from high school who works there. He showed us all the tech things, and it was really neat. We learned some things about how they plan the sets, where they are built, and all kinds of things. It was great.

After eating lunch with my family members who also went to the play, we went to a session at the Salt Lake Temple. I had never been to a session at the Salt Lake Temple so I really wanted to go. IT WAS WONDERFUL! Apparently Saturday night is one of the best nights to go because they weren't super busy. It was just such a neat experience. I felt such joy and peace at being there.

Then we went to one of our favorite Salt Lake restaurants...Aristo's. The food there is so wonderful. Authentic Greek food. YUMMY!

So, all in all, a truly amazing day.

So, you are probably wondering what I meant by, "I guess I've learned something..." Well, here's the thing. Yesterday was Mother's Day, which I am sure almost everyone was aware of unless they live in a box (and that's okay, because boxes can be nice...).

What has become interesting for me, is dealing with secondary infertility, has made me more aware of the pain that another person could feel. It literally becomes a physical pain. A hollowness. A feeling of emptiness... and I begin to look at those around me and I realize that Mother's Day and Father's Day, are literally two of the most painful holidays of the year.

And so, this in part, goes out to them... to the single women who wish they could be mom's, to the women who struggle with not having a desire to have children, to the women who would love to hold an infant in their arms and know that that child is theirs...whether you know it or not, you are mothers already.

The gift given to all adult women at church on Mother's Day, is not a pity gift to those with no children of their own, it is an acknowledgement that you have a part in the raising of children, even if they are not yours. This may not lessen the pain any, and for some it becomes a time of extreme emotional anguish, but always remember, that you are loved.

5 comments:

Miss Heather said...

Thanks, Mellie. Honestly Mother's Day is the worst for me. Your words were very comforting.

darcymae said...

so...question...(and feel free to ignore me if i am prying)...what is secondary infertility?

Melissa said...

Secondary infertility is when a woman has successfully had a baby and then for whatever reason has been unable to get pregnant again.
So, technically, you could have two or more kids and experience secondary infertility if you were unable to get pregnant and carry to term again.
In the medical world they usually consider there to be a problem if you have a difficult time conceiving after you've been trying for a year or longer with no successful outcome.

Melissa said...

I write more about dealing with infertility on my other blog-random thoughts of a SAHM.

Eve said...

Was the friend from high school Casey? I love that you went to a show and to the temple! What a happy date! As for the joys of Mother's Day--I always feel guilty taking the chocolates at church. I know we're all mothers--and I do my best to help my friends with kids in order to alleviate their stress--BUT . . . I take great joy giving the kids back to their exhausted parents. I take joy in my free time, and frankly Moms and Dads deserve a day to celebrate their efforts and sacrifices. I honor all your late nights and early mornings. Soon, I will join the ranks of the sleepless--but right now I proudly celebrate your parenting prowess!

And as for your secondary infertility--I can't wait to read that your years of sorrows have transformed into overwhelming joy when you have your next baby.