Monday, May 4, 2009

Flying

So, a couple of weeks back Shane and I had the opportunity to go flying in a little plane. Shane's older brother got his pilot's license a while back, and likes to take people up flying with him.

I finally downloaded the pictures so I thought I'd share our little trip. It was interesting for me, because I've only been on a plane a handful of times. One time I do vaguely remember flying in a small plane when my mom was a cub scout leader and it was one of their activities. I remember hating it. I wasn't a very go get em courageous child.

The next time I flew on a plane, it was a big jumbo jet, and I was a teenager, so I remember it quite vividly. It wasn't too bad. In fact, it was pretty cool, until we were flying into Georgia during the middle of the night during a thunder and lightning storm. Yeah, lucky me, I had a window seat. Let's just say the window shade was DOWN and I kept hoping that it wasn't my time to die.

So, anyway, I will point out the obvious here. Flying in a small plane is NOTHING like flying in a big jumbo jet. I was expecting it to be all nice and smooth...I mean, when you are in a large jet, it is fairly smooth, unless you hit a lot of air turbulence.

Well, in a little plane, EVERYTHING is air turbulence. Then of course, there was the nice little adrenaline rush when I realized that Shane's brother had switched the controls over to Shane, and SHANE was flying the plane. Believe me, Shane was as scared as I was...well, probably more so, because he was actually flying the plane, and because of all the changes in air temperature, (I learned a lot about the air changes, more than I think I ever wanted to know as I'm sitting there wondering if I'm going to live to make it out of the plane...), anyway, it made it more tricky than normal.

According to Shane's brother, our ride was exceptionally "choppy" because of all the warm and cool air currents, and that we should really go again sometime. Hmm...I think it will be a while for me.


Me standing all chipper before the plane ride...little did I know...:)


Shane's brother flying.


A back view of Shane's brother and Shane.


Me, trying to look happy...at that point I was starting to feel the effects of motion sickness...thankfully nothing happened other than just feeling sick.


Shane looking like a real pilot. ;)



One of the steering wheels.


The Great Salt Lake. Shane wanted to fly out to the spiral jetty. His brother forgot to mention that flying over water in the spring is a "choppy" thing to do. You can't really tell, but the water is RED.


The spiral jetty.


Flying over the mountain top.

No comments: