Monday, March 9, 2009

Bring on the rain...


So, sometimes I feel like life is a lot like a scene from The Truman Show. The scene where he's in his boat trying his hardest to sail away from a world he doesn't want to be in, and the director of the "show" is up in his room making all sorts of storms crash upon the character. The torrential rain, the crashing waves, and Jim Carrey looks up at the sky and yells "Is that the BEST you can do!" In a sense saying, "Come on! You want a piece of me?! Try harder!"

Well, the spiritual part of me, of course, always thinks of the book of Job. Now, I don't want you to get the impression that I feel like God tries his hardest to make us fail at life, because I don't. The opposite really. My yelling of "Is that the best you can do?" is more directed at the adversary trying to convince me that I can't make it, and that I should just give up.

So, with all the craziness going on lately, sometimes I feel a little overwhelmed. That really applied to this weekend, and I realized once again, why God is in charge and not me. My hubby went snowmobiling with the male side of his family (dad, brothers, in-laws, cousins, etc...). They do a once a year trip, and have a lot of fun. Shane is one of the more reserved snowmobile drivers...I mean, to an extent. Especially compared to his cohorts. He always has in mind the consequence of doing certain things, and usually chooses not to because he doesn't want to leave a wife and children alone without a spouse/husband.

Well, Saturday, he was cruising along, going down a hill, and realized that he had made a critical error in judgement. He was headed straight for a grove of trees, and knew the likelihood of not hitting a tree was slim, so he gunned it and went to the side...which would have been a good idea, and most likely saved his life, but on the side was a rock shelf. I'm guessing he "caught air" fell off the snowmobile in the process and was injured.

He dislocated his shoulder (backwards, meaning, instead of being pushed forward, it dislocated out the back), which in turn caused a small chip of bone to break off. (which will have to be surgically removed by an orthopedic surgeon). We ended up in a teeny hospital. Smaller by far than the hospital that we grew up by, but they were able to take care of him in their ER and he didn't have to be transferred anywhere. We ended up spending the night because it took awhile for his body to decide that it really could remember to breathe without oxygen hooked up to it.

The weather was beautiful which gave search and rescue the ability to take him out by sled. If it had been later in the day, or any other kind of variable, he would have had to be air lifted out by helicopter. (Which sounds cool until you realize that it costs about 10K.)

So, even though I would rather that NONE of this happened, there were several things that I can see we were blessed with, and I am SO SO glad that it wasn't worse. Because, I am well aware of how much worse it could have been.

4 comments:

Patty B. said...

Wow! What an eventful trip to the snow! Hopefully, recovery will be quick. Looks like someone was watching over him, huh?

Anonymous said...

Man! I'll say lucky guy because he is! In more ways than one, keep guessing til you get it.

Tori said...

Oh no, I'm so glad he's okay (in the big picture.) One time, I got to feeling like something was out to get me. I remembered all these times when I got hurt or could have gotten hurt. Then I realized, wait, I'm still here, and none too worse for the wear. Maybe I should be thinking that something out there is protecting me! Same with Shane, maybe something/someone was watching out for him.

Melissa said...

Hehehe...anyone who knows Shane and his family knows that they are watched over. They used to joke, will still do, that there must be at least 10 guardian angels for each child in the family to make sure they stay alive long enough to do the things they are supposed to do! :)