Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas getting to know you...

So, when my friend sent me this e-mail back before Thanksgiving I refused to do it and made up my own Thanksgiving one. Since it is now almost Christmas, it is time to get it done! I don't know about you, but this year has just been bizarre.

I think it's because I got sick after Thanksgiving for about a week, and everything just got thrown off schedule. I have almost all my Christmas cards sent out, but the few stragglers that I don't have addresses for, or do and just haven't done them, well, they are still sitting here on my computer desk. :) The neighbor goodie plates have yet to be made...the procrastinator in me says wait until after Christmas, which we will probably do, and just a whole bunch of other little things...like, I have all the gifts, but none are wrapped...including the family gifts...hmm..better get on that seeing how the party is this afternoon!

So, here is the "getting to know you" Christmas style...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? While gift bags are definitely easier, I still like unwrapping my presents...or as Shane would say, if there isn't paper flying, what's the point? (Just kidding, he doesn't really say that, but I can totally hear him saying it in my head).

2. Real tree or artificial? We had a real tree every year until I was ten, and I loved the smell, but they are kind of a pain to clean up after, and then you have to make sure you get one that doesn't have bugs in it, then you have to water it, etc...so, I would rather clean up after my artificial tree...plus it's more economical on my budget. ;)

3. When do you put up the tree? Ideally the day after Thanksgiving...but that rarely happens. So, I'll say, within the first two weeks of December.

4.When do you take the tree down? Sometime after New Years. Usually before February...tee hee hee.

5. Do you like eggnog? You know...eggnog is nasty. I can handle one sip, and then I'm good. My kids love the stuff, so they have to satisfy their need at their grandma's house since she usually has some. And even though there seemed to be a "let's get an eggnog shake in October" club when I was in college, it still didn't sway me. I still don't like it.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? I was always happy to get presents. Seeing the tree with lots of presents under it (7 kids will do that, even if you only get 4-5 each), that is probably one of my favorite memories. The empty tree that suddenly had presents everywhere. I don't remember a specific gift though.

7. Hardest person to buy for? My parents. I never know what they want or need, and my dad usually just buys what he needs anyway. So, it makes it tricky!

8. Easiest person to buy for? My daughter. My son is reaching the point where you really have to think about if he'll like it or not...even though he's not super picky. My daughter...if it's a toy, she's happy. :)

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. Three scenes, and one picture. It's the best part of Christmas.

10. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards? I personally like to mail mine, because I like to receive cards in the mail myself, but I understand when people e-mail their Christmas greetings, and that doesn't bother me. It's just nice to be remembered.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I can't say that I ever received anything that was horrible. I may have been disappointed a few times, but I was just happy to get a gift. (I know, sounds fake but it's true. I mean, it's really the thought that counts right?)

12. Favorite Christmas movie? I really like Elf, The Santa Clause, and those old claymation type movies that came out in the 80's...Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, etc...)

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? When I start thinking about it. :) Usually in September/October.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Uh...not a Christmas present, but I have recycled gifts before.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Christmas eve dinner...mmm...oyster stew, clam chowder, cheese ball, veggies, shrimp cocktail. All sorts of yumminess going on there.

16. Colored or white lights on the tree? I like both. It adds variety.

17. Favorite Christmas song? I love O Holy Night, that is my favorite favorite, but I like a lot of Christmas songs, if they're sung more traditionally. When they start getting a little too creative, it...annoys my ears.

My second favorite would be the Nutcracker. While I like almost all the music in the Nutcracker, my favorite is the Pas de deux which is toward the end. I know, you're thinking, what? But, I love the harp in the song, the cellos, and then at the end there is a faint piccolo that you have to try hard to hear, but when you do, it is just absolutely amazing.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We spend Christmas Eve with my parents, stay home Christmas morning, and go visiting family Christmas evening, and for the rest of the Christmas break really.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes, and in less than a minute too, as we discovered with one of the timed Mental Floss quizzes.

20. Open the presents Christmas eve or Christmas morning? The kids open one present Christmas eve (pajamas), and then they open the rest of their gifts Christmas morning.

21. Most annoying thing about this time of year? The commercialism and "gimmee gimme" syndrome.

22. Favorite ornament theme or color? I don't know really...since my tree is still very much "kid proof."

23. Favorite food for Christmas dinner? We don't really have a special Christmas dinner...that would be Christmas eve (refer to question 15).

24. What do you want for Christmas this year? Hmm, well, I know what I am getting, since I found it on sale for almost 50% off, and got a killer deal! Usually I make Shane suffer and figure out what to get me, but I have never gotten a gift from Shane that I didn't like.

So, go ahead and share! I'd love to read your "getting to know you, Christmas" too!

No comments: