If you voted for the proposition, you were voting AGAINST an action that had been taken, and if you voted against the propostion, you were voting FOR it. Plus they used nice phrases like...are you in favor of the repeal of this propostion or against it? The description of the whole proposition was confusing as well.
It reminded me of my favorite Strongbad e-mail titled marzipan. Basically, Strongbad goes to Marzipan and tells her to tell him that she likes him and Marzipan is very adamant that she does NOT like Strongbad so he confuses her with a sentence full of double negatives..."Do you don't not dislike not Strongbad?" To which she responds.."Uh, I guess so..." and Strongbad runs around in glee..."I KNEW it, I knew you liked me!!"

Anyway, if the people voting on the proposition have a difficult time understanding the phrasing in the whole stupid thing anyway, what's the point? They could be against what the proposition stands for and vote for it out of confusion and not understanding the wording!
So, it will be interesting what happens. Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today! Isn't the English language great?
1 comment:
I know what you mean! I had the same problem with several propositions on our ballot. It was so long this year!! There were a few issues I couldn't figure out too!
Post a Comment