Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ode to the Valley View Highway....

Yesterday was a CRAZY CRAZY DAY!!!! I used FOUR exclamation points so that lets you know how really crazy it was right?

A week or so ago we were in Logan and I had an appointment, so Shane went browsing at the USU surplus store, which he mentions on his blog TAHWIMBY. Most universities have one, you just have to know where to look...yes, I'm sure U of U probably has one too, just in case you're curious.

Most people go to these hoping to get a good deal on a computer, since the universities have to have the most up and coming models right? If that is your plan, be PREPARED to spend a LONG time in line. We don't do that.

Well, yesterday was the big first day of the surplus sale, so we had planned to go over to Logan and go to it. We left about 8 and headed over the Valley View Highway (Sardine and Valley View...distance and time is about sixes if you're going to the heart of Logan...seriously...we've timed it...aside from that, Sardine has road construction right now...)

I guess yesterday USU was getting rid of...I mean, selling, some Macs. We got there right at 9:00 when it opens, and there was a HUGE line. I had to take care of Hazel so Shane could hopefully get what he needed (she conveniently needed to use the restroom, which was conveniently located in the front of the building where the sale was going on, which was still locked at the time...yeah, we had to go on a quick trip to another building, which really, I didn't mind, because hoards of people running toward a door isn't exactly my idea of a good time, ya know?)

I told Shane later that I could imagine the conversation between Surplus workers...
"Hey, it's your turn to open the gate this time..."
"No dude, it's YOUR turn..."
"Nuh uh, I totally did it last time..."
"Guess we better draw straws..."

So anyway, when we got back we went looking for Shane. I went into the main building and there were so many people! Not surprising considering the line, and I overheard one of them talking to their friend..."Yeah, we came at a quarter to 8 to wait in line, and we still didn't get a Mac..." A QUARTER TO 8!! They waited in line for over an HOUR!

Shane had to use his suave negotiating skills to get the centrifuges that he wanted...yeah, centrifugeS...plural... A guy actually beat him to the centrifuges. He just wanted them for the scrap metal, which in this case was brass and aluminum. So, Shane told the guy he could have the scrap metal and Shane would buy the centrifuges without it. Thankfully the guy agreed.

I'm sure you're wondering why Shane would even want a centrifuge, I mean, these are machines that are typically used to spin blood and other fluids so that they separate...well, Shane wants to raise bees for honey, with our brother-in-law, and a centrifuge is perfect to separate the honey from the comb. Considering that a honey extractor can cost anywhere from $300 for a hand crank one to $1000 for an electric one, $20 for two used centrifuges is a KILLER deal!

So, then we had another problem...how would we get these home? They were borderline too big to fit in the back of our Yukon. So, we called Shane's brother, yes, we could borrow the truck, had lunch, and headed over to his brother's house in Beaver Dam, so BACK over valley view we go.

Once there I dropped off Shane and headed to Harrison's school because it was short-day. Yeah, it was after 1 PM and we still needed to head back over to Logan to get all the stuff that we had bought at the surplus sale...(keep in mind here, that Shane has already been up ALL NIGHT, so he still hasn't had any sleep...)

I get Harrison, head back to Shane's brother's house, and get Shane. We pile into the truck and head over to Logan..yup, back over valley view. Then over it again once we get the stuff. By the time we get to Shane's parent's, which is where the bees are kept, it is almost 5 PM.

Suffice to say, I think I've driven valley view enough to last me for a while...but, we got a killer deal right? So, I guess it makes the super long and crazy day worth it.

No comments: