Who could forget Shannon Miller, Dominique Dawes, and Keri Strug? They were all members of the 1996 olympics team that took gold for the first time ever...and one with a hurt ankle...like bad hurt ankle. Who could forget that image?
For me, its almost like the gymnastics world...among other things has kind of...well, things just aren't the same. Big powerhouse teams like Russia and Romania aren't really even an threat...and China, they are the best I guess. The floor routines aren't like they used to be, and most of the other events aren't either. Course, I have to think that some of that is because of the crazy life they had to live to be a gymnast. They had no life. They lived at the gym...that was IT. I don't think it's that way now...except in China. I guess in the USA you don't become an "elite" gymnast until you are 11-12...now anyway.
Anyway, I noticed something as I started watching Shawn Johnson perform...she looks a lot like an American Girl doll. I thought it was only fitting, I mean, she IS an American Girl. :)


Cute right? Anyway, I'm glad that she was able to get silver in the all around, and that Nastia Liukin was able to get gold. They are both far better gymnasts than I could ever dream of being! I can't even do a cartwheel!
No comments:
Post a Comment