Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Beijing Olympics


So, I have been following the olympics...for the most part. I don't get tv, so I have to do all my viewing from the NBC olympics website. It is pretty good. I guess my biggest complaint would be that the sports I really want to watch "live" aren't posted until later.

Take gymnastics for example. I wanted to watch the women's gymnastics competition "live." So, I go onto the site...and look...and look...sure, they had fencing and archery, and some other sports "live" because, I don't know about you, but those are definitely a higher priority for me than gymnastics! (I'm trying to be sarcastic and funny here, so don't get offended if those sports really ARE a higher priority for you!)

Anyway, enough of that. It HAS been really neat to be able to watch a full-length competition if I want. Men's gymnastics usually gets shafted and hardly any coverage at all, and I was able to watch as much as I wanted to. They had it ALL there! And, after I already knew what the women gymnastics team had won, they had their video all there too. :)

I'm glad they created the site because of all the additional things that you can watch. I'm sure I'll watch the rythmic gymnastics, syncronized swimming, diving, and...well, whatever catches my fancy, and I'll be able to watch the WHOLE coverage! The other bonus? Only 1-2 commercials for every full-length video (we're talking 2 hours worth), AND NO COMMENTATORS! I don't know about you, but they can really get on my nerves sometimes...a lot of times. So, it takes a little to get used to the silence...just hearing the sound of the athletes and all the spectators cheering, but it is SO nice!

Anyway, just in case you are living in a cocoon (which is fine, I know not everybody is INTO the olympics), The USA men's gymnastics team took BRONZE! (SWEET!) and the USA women's gymnastics team took SILVER. Now I'll go climb back into my cocoon and not tell you about all the other medals that USA has won. ;)

No comments: