So, yesterday was the first "official" day of our county fair. They have a fair parade right before, at 5:00 pm, so we went and watched most of that first. I say "most of" because it was really hot and we were in the sun. If we had been in the shade we probably would have stayed longer.
Harrison and Hazel both enjoyed picking up candy that was thrown, and Shane and I enjoyed hearing the high school marching band play. One of our friends who went to high school with us is now the band director, and he has done an amazing job.
Then we went over to the fair. Traditionally as I was growing up, my family NEVER went to the fair the first night because it is CRAZY! Now, however, we always go the first night because tickets for the rides are half price.
So, while at the fair we checked out the arts and crafts building, and were happy that Shane's sister had finally won a blue ribbon on her photograph. They judge the photography section pretty harshly, and I have never quite figured out exactly what they are looking for.
Then we checked out all the booths where they try to sell you things that you don't really need. :) We did end up buying a hat for Hazel because it was only $5.00 and she looked really cute in it.
After that we went and looked at some of the animals. The kids really liked to see the poultry/bunny building where all the birds and rabbits get judged. I always feel kind of bad for the animals at the fair though. I mean, for the large part of their life they have lived in the backyard of someone's house in a relatively quiet existence, and then, BAM!! shock of their lives to be placed in a wire cage and have THOUSANDS of people come staring and poking at you.
Normally at this point in time we would go over to the rides and let the kids each pick three rides to go on....well...not this year. Our kids were mega TOADS! Even after warning them, and telling them that after 3 warnings they would NOT be allowed to go on rides...well, obviously that didn't happen.
So, maybe next year I guess. Or, maybe at Peach Days, which is a real psycho event that I never fully experienced until I was married and living where it takes place. Peach Days, makes the county fair look like it's a mellow tame place to go. :) It's still fun to just go and see things though. Plus, this year I will be performing with the community symphony at Peach Days. We perform at 2:00 PM in front of the courthouse on Saturday September 6th. You are all welcome to come and watch me! I'll be the one getting sunburned because they took out all the trees two years ago (yeah, I was REAL happy about that...)
No comments:
Post a Comment